When a baby elephant spent 10 minutes in a mall

Images from the day a wild female elephant and her son went on the rampage on the streets of Mysore, attacking human beings and animals, toppling parked vehicles, jumping over fences and generally creating the kind of havoc in reality that we otherwise happily gape at in awe on television.

Star of Mysore reports that the elephants, lost and frightened, came from T. Narasipur side, traversing 24 kms overnight. The evening daily also has this timeline of the elephants’ run through the main thoroughfares of the city before being tranquillised and transported back to the forests.

5.40 am: Elephants run around RMC yard, upsetting vegetable baskets and push-carts.

6 am: Enter densely populated Tilak Nagar and attack a herd of three cattle, severely injuring them.

6.10 am: The elephants reach Sayyaji Rao Road where the calf gets separated from its mother. The female elephant runs on the Mysore- Bangalore road and attacks a woman who is jogging. She escapes unhurt as she jumps and lies down in a drain.

6.20 am: The calf, more panicky after being separated from mother, enters JK Ground.

6.30 am: Calf reaches Ayurveda College Circle, chases a KSRTC bus upto Bata showroom, turns into Dhanvanthri road and enters Banana Mandi in Boti Bazar.

6.45 am: Enters Devaraj Mohalla, chased by a horde of curious people.

7 am: Enters the cellar of More shopping mall on Narayana Shastry Road. Comes out after 10 minutes, attacks the ATM security guard, killing him.

7.10 am: Runs towards Devaraj Urs Road. Forest department personnel arrive.

7.15 am: At Lakshmi Vilas Road near Maharani’s College, first shot of tranquilliser fired. Calf barges into college’s main gate.

7.35 am: Reaches Sainik Bhavan where second shot of tranquilliser is administered.

8 am: Reaches Oval Grounds near DC’s office where third dose of sedative is fired, but calf showed no signs of weakness, causing anxiety among the authorities.

8.15 am: Tries to climb over tall iron grill by standing on its hind legs. Exits Oval Ground via gate, reaches Maharaja’s College ground. Fourth tranquilliser fired.

8.25 am: Passes through Railway Underbridge, runs past fire brigade in Saraswathipuram.

8.35 am: Enters JSS Women’s College, runs around the premises. DC Harsha Gupta and Police commissioner Sunil Agarwal arrive. Fifth dose fired.

8.45 am: Reaches Dhobi Ghat near University Swimming pool beside Kukkarahalli lake and stands there, seeming exhausted as sedatives take effect.

9 am: Becomes fully unconscious and collapses. Chief Conservator of Forests (Elephants) Ajay Mishra, CCF (Tigers) Dr. B.J. Hosamath, ACF Gopinath and others bind the tusker with ropes and chains.

Photographs: Narayan Yadav/ Karnataka Photo News and contributor

Also read: ‘The Maharaja’s elephant made me a lensman’