Most sane cricketing heads—Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi, Bishen Singh Bedi, Krishnamachari Srikkanth, Ayaz Memon, Prem Panicker—say India should not cut short the Australian tour and return because of the long-term ramifications of such a move. Those in favour are career-politicians like Farooq Abdullah or cricketers-politicians like Navjot Sidhu, who say the country’s pride is above that of a lost match, lousy umpiring or a Test match ban on a bowler.
On Times Now last night, India’s best cricketer-turned-commentator Sanjay Manjrekar, who too believes Anil Kumble & Co India should not advance their return journey, launched full-scale into his former colleague, Sidhu alias “Sherry“. First, Manjrekar, tongue firmly in both cheeks, said the BJP MP had probably seen all the “opinion polls” and then decided to what popular position to take on television.
But when Sidhu wouldn’t relent, and kept repeatedly saying India should walk away, the Mangalore-born Manjrekar delivered a pure gem:
“Sherry, you are a past master at walking away, aren’t you? You have some experience in that area. You walked away from the 1996 England series, leaving us to face the new ball in the first part of the season. So, obviously you would want the team to walk away from Australia.”
The usually garrulous Sidhu was tongue-tied.
Sanjay Manjrekar ….. best cricketer-turned whatever ………
Joke of the century ….
Seriously, when did Manjrekar become “India’s best cricketer-turned-commentator “???????? Come on, there is a limit for everything……..
Hats off to Sanjay Manjrekar for reminding Sidhu of his walkout. Its was a shame Sidhu walked out leaving his country and team mates high and dry. Sidhu defended his move saying it was about his honour…but he forgot that he placed his own individual honour over and above that of the his country by walking out.
And, yes the idea of India pulling out from Australia is politcal and a stupid idea. No wonder this is being mouthed by politicians.
I too want the team to return. I don’t want to see them lose any more.
“India’s best cricketer-turned-commentator Sanjay Manjrekar”… Obviously!
Gokulam..that was really kool !
Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri will have a couple of things to say about this post….. India’s best cricketer-turned-commentator?
No offence Sanjay, but you are probably third best on both counts.
What long term impact are they talking about? At best some of these sports/media personalities will not get to tour Australia free of cost in the short term.
Is churumuri calling Manjrekar “India’s best cricketer” who became a commentator or a cricketer who became “India’s best commentator”? If it’s the former, I have a problem. But if it’s the latter, I have some room. Manjrekar surely is more fluent than the other two, has very fine insights, and has an excellent sense of humour.
Better than Gavaskar buffoon..
Walking away what will Indian team acieve. For a start, Kumble and Dravid could stand for the Karnataka Assembly whenever the election is called. Devegowda and BJP should make offers. Manmohan Singh may need a Sikh protege for dealing with Sonia, and may find Harbhajan a constituency in Amritsar eventually. Yuvaraj could be a good assistant for Pawar.
“India’s best cricketer-turned-commentator Sanjay Manjrekar”…
Obviously! …. WRONG.
He is neither the best cricketer nor best commentator (compared to Gavaskar and Shastry..why? even Sidhu is 100 times better than this manjrekar).
And who is this guy to talk about Sherry’s walkout ? A pathetic cricketer-turned-commentator talking about one of the better batsman of our times, Sidhu.
Check out the stats for yourself…
That was a gem from Sanjay.
You might disagree..But he along with Jadeja are the most sensible commentators in Indian television..When they comment, they keep their emotions in check..A lot better than nonsense Siddhu or that chest thumping more-Indian-than-anyone-else Sunil gavaskar.
In a Ind v/s Pak matc, Sanjay was doing commentary with Waqar.Indian spectators didn’t clap for some of Pakistan’t fine performance..Sanjay expressed his displeasure for that.Waqar said ‘they have come to see Indian batsmen scoring boundaries’.Sanjay replied ‘it’s unfortunate that they have come only to see that’.
The quality of Majrekar’s comments and insights is anyday superior to the platitudes mouthed by gavaskar and the rest. SM was the only guys with the balls to be critical of tendulkar’s approach to the game. I think he is the finest and the most balanced cricket presenter in India. Sorry Harsha, you are too servile to the bombay cabal.
Hahah. You call Bishen Singh Bedi “sane cricking head”? He’s mad
This message from an unknown Author is circulated in Aus. Thought you might like to know the Progress made by the AC and the ICCac
Subject: New Cricket Rules from the ACB & ICC
Thought you might want to familarise yourselves with the new rules before the next test at Perth . It’s important you do this, so there are no more needless misunderstandings and controversies.
(1) Ricky Ponting – (THE TRULY GENUINE CRICKETER OF THE CRICKET ERA AND WHOSE INTEGRITY SHOULD NOT BE DOUBTED ) should be considered as the FOURTH UMPIRE . As per the new rules, FOURTH UMPIRE’s decision is final and will over-ride any decisions taken by any other umpires. ON-FIELD umpires can seek the assistance of RICKY PONTING even if he is not on the field.
(2) While AUSTRALIAN TEAM is fielding, if the ball flies anywhere close to an AUSTRALIAN FIELDER (WITHIN 5 metre distance), the batsman is considered OUT irrespective of whether the catch was taken cleanly or grassed. Any further clarification should be sought from the FOURTH UMPIRE. This is to ensure that cricket is played with SPORTING SPIRIT by all the teams.
(3) While BATTING, AUSTRALIAN players will wait and leave the field of play only after the ON-FIELD UMPIRE’s decision (even if the catch goes to the FIFTH SLIP the ball may have missed the bat). Each AUSTRALIAN batsman has to be out FOUR TIMES (minimum) before he is allowed to return to the pavilion. In the specific case of THE CRICKETER WITH INTEGRITY, this can be higher.
(4) UMPIRES should actively support an AUSTRALIAN batsman scoring a century. Any wrong decisions can be ignored as they will receive the complete backing of the AUSTRALIAN team and the Cricket Board .
(5) Every AUSTRALIAN player is entitled to sledge and keep commenting about opposing players on the field. The OPPONENT TEAM should never comment as they will be spoiling the spirit and mood of the AUSTRALIAN team. Any comments made in a language other than English will be considered as RACISM.
(6) MATCH REFREE’s decisions will only be taken on the advice of the AUSTRALIAN TEAM. Views of players from the other teams will not be considered for hearing as it would severley work against the record breaking winning streak of the Australian team.
(7) NO VISITING TEAM should plan to win in AUSTRALIA . This is to ensure that the ‘competitive’ spirit of the Australian team and the winning streak of AUSTRALIAN CRICKET is maintained.
(8) THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE : If any bowler gets RICKY PONTING – “THE UNDISPUTED CRICKETER WITH INTEGRITY IN THE GAME OF CRICKET” more than twice in a series, he will be banned for the REST OF THE SERIES. This is to ensure that the world’s best batsman and captain can break all records and create cricketing history.
All visiting bowlers are reminded to be very mindful of this rule.
” SM was the only guys with the balls to be critical of tendulkar’s approach to the game. ”
Sounds juvenile to me….The argument sounds shallow… Just because you criticize a great batsman (however balls you might have to do so) … doesn’t mean you are a good commentator. If this is the logic .. then to become a good commentator all you need is to criticize good batsman..shall we start with Border, Gavaskar, ..Bradman ??